Periodontics is the field of dentistry that specializes in the prevention, diagnosis and subsequent treatment of periodontal disease and other conditions that impact the structures and supporting tissues of the teeth.
Diagnosis of periodontal conditions is based on medical history, an examination of plaque and tartar buildup, gum bleedings, measurement of “pockets” (grooves between your gums and teeth), and results from dental x-rays.
Treatment of periodontal issues may be performed by either a dentist or dental hygienist, with the primary goal being to thoroughly clean the pockets around the teeth in order to prevent damage, infection, and disease.
Nonsurgical Treatments Include:
- Scaling – to remove tartar and bacteria from beneath the gums and surfaces of the teeth
- Root Planing – to smoothen out root surfaces making it harder for bacteria and tartar to build-up
- Antibiotics to treat infections
Surgical Treatments Include:
- Pocket reduction surgery
- Soft tissue grafts
- Bone grafting
- Guided tissue regeneration
- Tissue stimulating proteins
This treatment is available at our Emerald, Middlemount and Dysart clinics.